The information and filing deadlines below are specific to Florida. Contact us for other States.
Property / Real Estate Tax
- Assessed on the value of the property and sent out around November 1st each year.
- Property Appraiser value is used rather than Market Value (the latter is generally higher)
- Payable annually to the County Tax Collector’s Office by 31st March following.
Tangible Personal Property Tax
- Tax return filed annually to the Property Appraiser’s Office and due by March 31st.
- Late filing penalties after this date but bills sent out around November 1st each year.
- Levied on the furniture, fixtures and equipment over $25,000 located in rental property.
Sales & Use Tax/ Tourist Development Tax
- Payable on short term rental income (individual bookings of less than six months).
- Filed monthly to the Florida Department of Revenue (DOR), due by 1st of month.
- Late filing penalties effective after 20th of month – $50 even if no income received!
- Your management company will usually collect and report all Sales and Use Tax.
Local Business Tax (previously Occupational License)
- Required of those who rent their US property and receive rental payments directly.
- Paid annually to the Tax Collectors Office (in County where the rental property is located).
- A Local Business Tax Receipt or Occupational License is issued by Tax Collector’s Office.
- Each property generating short term rental income (individual bookings of less than six months) must have a Florida Hotel License which is renewed annually by “DBPR”.
- Application and renewal of this license is usually handled by your management company
US Tax Returns Preparation
Due Diligence and Trading Reviews
US Visa Financial Planning
Howell International Tax welcomes approaches from all types of investors, including those who have tentative plans and want to get the basics fully understood from someone who speaks "their language".
TAX COLLECTOR WEBSITES
8701 W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway
Kissimmee, FL 34747